Tuesday 1 April 2008

Gavin Rossdale returns with solo LP-Buzznet Interview

Gavin Rossdale makes headlines these days when he's spotted out and about in L.A. with his wife, Gwen Stefani, but rock fans know him best as the former leader of Bush, the '90s alt-rock juggernaut that had 10 big singles and sold more than 10 million albums.

Following a two-year hiatus that came after the band broke up in 2002, Rossdale went on to form Institute, a short-lived rock group that released one album, Distort Yourself, in 2005.

Now Rossdale is back again, but this time he's keeping it simple: The singer/guitarist has crafted his first solo record, Wanderlust, and is releasing it in June. Last week Buzznet caught up with the man himself to pick his brain about his new project, Gwen's appearance on it, whether Bush will ever get back together and more.

Buzznet: Why did you decide to call this a "solo album," if you're working with other musicians on it? Does this get at the essence of you in a way the Institute album didn't?

Gavin Rossdale: Yes, it’s ironically called a solo record when it’s clear that other people are involved. Maybe it means I am the only one responsible for it. Being in Bush was everything to me, and I hope to re-ignite that fire someday. I am really proud of the Institute record and the music we made. It had some pretty heavy moments. What I liked about WANDERLUST is that I had a lot of ground I wanted to return to that I had forsaken with the heavier, detuned style. I like to refer to it as my “tin machine” period. Good — but heavy. I have tried to put my essence in every record I have made. This happens to be a different essence.

Buzznet: When you formed Institute, you said you were going after a softer approach than what Bush had delivered. What's your angle with your solo album?

Rossdale: Originally, the demos for Institute were softer – perhaps I was trying to escape my guitar – and then the consensus was to go heavier than Bush so I ended up with Institute. With the solo record it was about being more universal and dubbier, which basically means modifying the guitars and allowing the music to breathe more. I wanted to have a situation where different musicians come in and play, and then Bob Rock and I would sift through the options. I like studio options. You get great accidents.

Buzznet: Who's in your new band?

Rossdale: Pretty much the same band that played in the studio, apart from a new drummer, Zachary Alford, who I first met when Bush opened for Bowie in South America. It starts, as usual, for me with Chris Traynor, who has played with me for awhile now. Then Josh Freese, who is not only a friend but a pretty good drummer and not a bad dresser. I asked him who his favorite bass player was – that’s Paul Bushnell – and on keyboards we have Jamie Muhoberac, who has played with me on every record since Bush's 2001 album, GOLDEN STATE. Clearly, I like continuity. And live, this has been the band, apart from Josh.

Buzznet: Can we expect any guest appearances from your 1-year-old son, Kingston, or, um, other family members on the LP?

Rossdale: Kingston is not on the record and the Mrs. sings some real nice stuff on “Some Days.” Otherwise, nothing but support from those guys.

Buzznet: Were you tempted to release a solo disc previously, before forming Institute? Why is now the right time?

Rossdale: I did a lot of thinking on this one. The Institute record could have been a solo record or released under my name. But the record came out like such a band, and the music was clearly a band sound. So I decided to dedicate a couple of months of my life to thinking of a band name, which is a lot harder than you think. Institute was closest to a prostitute.

Buzznet: Is there any "in-house" competition yet in terms of being a solo artist? Are any ideas about music freely exchanged, or is that subject rarely discussed?

Rossdale: All ideas are freely exchanged; we love that old communication stuff. Competition? Now that wouldn’t be helpful, would it? We leave the competition for the outside world.

Buzznet: Who would make an ideal tour partner for your solo project (we're guessing it's not Dance Gavin Dance)?

Rossdale: I have always enjoyed picking great music to tour with. That way, you can see a really good band night after night. A dream sound? Cat Power, Underworld, Llasa de Sala.

Buzznet: What advice would you give to young bands like Paramore, Fall Out Boy and/or Panic at the Disco?

Rossdale: I doubt they need or want my advice. My advice to myself, however, is to keep writing, keep pushing, and to never lose sight of the road there

Buzznet: Do you have any other ventures on tap?

Rossdale: Hands full right now. It’s been a journey and a half just to get to this point. I am going to enjoy this process and being back out there. In the world of people who dig music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts



E.MAIL HERE