Tuesday 29 July 2008

Idols say working with Gavin Rossdale was invaluable




Gavin Rossdale watches the Top 8 Performance Show from the audience.



Sheri Block, CTV.ca

Working with Gavin Rossdale, former frontman for 90s post-grunge rock band Bush, was an invaluable experience, according to Canadian Idol's Top 8.

Theo Tams from Lethbridge, Alta., said he has always looked up to the rocker and was told by Rossdale in his mentoring workshop he should find the heart and passion in the music.

Tams sang "Weak in the Knees" by Serena Ryder and credits Rossdale for the


moving performance.

"My performance would not have been the same if I did not meet him. He was the first who really just drove that to dig harder, to dig deeper, to look further, just find something and get to that point where you're so vulnerable with the song and it was so cool, it was awesome," said Tams, following the Top 8 Performance Show.

Amberly Thiessen from Seven Persons, Alta., said meeting Rossdale was really good reassurance she's making the right song choices and goals in the competition. She performed "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson.

"To have someone like him, who's been in this industry for so long, to confirm that for me, it was a really good experience and there's so much to learn from him, too. His advice on maintain the passion and just always striving to be the best you can be and try and beat your other record. His advice and his reassurance is just something you can't pay for, it was amazing," said Thiessen.

Mark Day from Portugal Cove-St.Philips, Nfld., wasn't sure how he and Rossdale would get along because their musical styles are so different but Day said it went great and they ended up cracking jokes and having a really good time.

"He told me to sing every line of the song as if it's the only line of the song," said Day, who performed "Stay" by Sugarland.

"I think it (helped) for sure. I was originally going to sit down on a stool at the beginning and sing but he said to me the emotion of the song almost requires you to stand because you're pleading and no one pleads sitting down."

Mitch MacDonald from Port Hood, N.S., said it was "cool as hell" to meet Rossdale and he was impressed how down to earth he was.

"One of the coolest things he said was when you're going out to perform (think about) if the world was going to end unless you let people know what you have to say, so that just shows how much he pours into a performance you know what I mean?" said MacDonald, who sang "Oh Atlanta" by Alison Krauss.

Sebastian Pigott from Toronto, Ont., was told by Rossdale sometimes you have to lose the mask of showmanship to show honesty. Pigott, who performed "Lucille" by Little Richard, thought this was great advice and said it was such an honour to meet him.

"I grew up on his music. I remember being about 12 when 'Glycerine' was coming out and everybody in my school going nuts for it and the girl I liked listened to that constantly. She wanted him more than she wanted me," said Pigott with a laugh. "And now I know why. He was really awesome, really sweet and humble and sincere ... you could tell he really wanted to speak to us as artists."

Earl Stevenson from Lloydminster, Alta., thought Rossdale was a cool guy and the advice he got was to remember that the emotion was the most important part and the good parts of music never go away.

"Yeah it was good words of wisdom," said Stevenson, who sang "Two" by Ryan Adams.

Mookie Morris from Toronto, Ont., said Rossdale told him to make a journey outside of the song and to think about the dynamics.

"Yeah I think it definitely helped me. He was also just a great motivator," said Morris, who performed "Ophelia" by The Band.

Drew Wright from Collingwood, Ont., said it was a great experience meeting Rossdale and the advice he got was to step out on his own a little bit. Wright put that to use while performing "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5.

"I think it did help. I tried to be a little bit more dynamic than I was before and I think it's something I can work on to try to improve every week," said Wright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts



E.MAIL HERE